Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Police Dog Attack Video Shows North Carolina Cop Shove Dog In Suspect's ...

A video shows a police officer thrusting an attack dog into the car of a suspect who appears to be trying to surrender.

The graphic footage, which can be seen above, was released on Monday by New Hanover County, N.C. District Attorney Ben David. The D.A. investigated the incident and brought it to a grand jury to determine if Wilmington police officer Stafford Brister should be charged with assault inflicting serious injury, according to the Star News.

"I believe that it was a close enough legal question that the community should get to decide that the use of force was reasonable and that I would not rule it a matter of law that it was," David said.

The incident happened at the end of a dramatic chase between authorities and alleged drunk driver, Johnnie Williams on October, 31. The chase began when Williams allegedly tried to escape a DUI checkpoint.

The video shows Brister, "lifting his police dog and forcing it through the driver's side window right into the driver's lap," according to WECT.

Williams has his hands raised in apparent surrender when the dog is pushed into the car. He suffered lacerations to his face.

Brister is still on administrative leave as an internal investigation continues.

Williams told WWAY he didn't deserve what happened to him.

"I didn't do anything forceful against the officers. I didn't not do anything," Williams said. "I stopped and I gave up my rights and I tried holding up my hands."

No comments:

Post a Comment